Előd Kostyák

cellist

Előd Kostyák was born in Cluj-Napoca, began his musical studies in his hometown, then moved to Bucharest and graduated at the Music Academy of Cluj-Napoca.

In 1990 he attended the master classes of Miklós Perényi and Csaba Onczay in Keszthely.

As a member of the Bartha Quartet he won the „Wilhelm Georg Berger Quartet Competition” held in Brașov in 1994 and the “Gheorghe Dima International Chamber Music Competition”.

Between 1994-1995 he spent 6 months in the master class of Sándor Devich at the Music Academy of Budapest.

From 1994 until the summer of 2008 he was the leading cellist in the following Orchestras: Honvéd Orchestra, Philharmonic of Győr, National Theatre of Miskolc.

Since 2008 he is solo cellist at the Hungarian Opera of Cluj-Napoca and between 2009-2015 he was also solo cellist at the National Oper.

Előd Kostyák is playing on a cello made by Christian Neubauer in 1835 in Buda, formerly owned by Brassai Sámuel, which was restaurated by János Márkus Barbarossa at the initiative of the Amaryllis Society of Cluj-Napoca. The cello is currently the property of the Unitarian Bishop’s office.